We are well into the college football season and with that comes our annual “away” game trip. The Gators have been consistently good since I first went to school in ’93 so I have been very fortunate to have many wonderful football Saturdays in the fall. This year Lori and I went to the UF vs. UT game in Knoxville, TN. I have a cousin who lives there and her husband was nice enough to provide amazing tickets, so we were there with the quickness.
It was a great weekend on many levels, but here are some of things that I took away from the game:
- I am now 5 for 6 in games at Neyland Stadium that I have gone to; it’s like a home away from home.
- There is not one piece of flat land in a 25 mile radius of Knoxville.
- The UT “T” is a pretty cool thing to see live. They also have an announcer who has an incredibly booming voice; “It’s Football Time in Tennessee”. Very Cool.
- If you wear Blue then you will be padded down and searched at the gate upon entry. If you wear Orange or White then you get a smile and a “have a nice time”. JWB could have been my co-pilot!
- Although “Rocky Top” is not the Tennessee fight song, it’s the song most associated with the University. It is played on every touchdown or big play. It’s sort of a big deal to Vols fans. This year it was only played 3 times during the game.
- Fulmer is a nice guy, a winning football coach for many years, and has the street that the Stadium sits on named after him. This game was the beginning of the end of an era.
I wonder what odds Vegas is giving on Fulmer lasting to the end of the Year? It took losing for Mississippi State to get the Zookster fired for the Gators a few years back. Would losing to Kentucky do it? There needs to be a prop bet on this.